The Maryland Apprenticeship Training Program (MATP) administered by the Maryland Department of Labor has allocated $3,260,957 to increase business participation in Registered Apprenticeship by creating the 2021 Maryland Employer Incentive Plan (EIP) initiative.
The EIP is a rolling reimbursement program, where employers receive repayment for a portion of the costs of On-the-Job Learning (OJL). All apprentices served through the EIP must be newly registered apprentices and must meet the criteria for Registered Apprentices. Learn more about Registered Apprenticeship Program here: 2020-2023 State Apprenticeship Expansion Grant
EIP Eligibility Requirements
The following entities are able to apply:
- Employers who sign up to participate in an existing Group Joint or Group Non-Joint Registered Apprenticeship
- Employers who register a new Registered Apprenticeship program
- Sponsors and/or employers who reactivate a currently inactive Registered Apprenticeship
- Sponsors and/or employers who register apprentices after implementation of the EIP
Employers can be private, public, or non-profit as long as they are a Registered Apprenticeship Sponsor or a signatory, or participating employer with a Group Joint or Group Non-Joint Registered Apprenticeship Sponsor approved by Maryland Department of Labor.
Employers that partipate in the EIP are eligible for reimbursement for a portion of the costs of OJL. The breakdown for reimbursement amounts is as follows:
- Businesses with 50+ employees (large employers) are eligible for reimbursement of 50% of the wage rate of apprentices for a maximum of 30 hours per week; or
- Businesses with 49 or fewer employees (small employers) are eligible for reimbursement of 75% of the wage rate of apprenctices for a maximum of 30 hours per week
Maryland Department of Labor calculates reimbursement based on the first 13 weeks of actual employment not to exceed $3,120 per apprentice for large employers and $4,680 per apprentice for small employers.
- For more information on the Maryland Apprenticeship Training Program (MATP) , please click the following link: MATP
- For questions about MATP and EIP, please contact David Minges, Program Manager, MATP