May 19, 2015
7 Steps to Building a Foundation for Marketing Success
It goes without saying that marketing is critical for any business venture. As a small business, it’s even more so. After all, how else will you stand out in the crowd, especially if that crowd is filled with bigger, better-known competitors? But, like all pieces of your business, you have to approach your marketing strategy with a solid plan. Otherwise, you could end up losing money–and losing out on important business opportunities. So before you embark on your marketing journey, sit down and spell out these four things:
1) Objectives. What are your goals? Do you want to generate leads? Increase sales or donations? Raise capital or awareness? It’s important to be very clear about what it is you want to achieve.
2) Mission. What does your business hope to accomplish for your customers? What is your story and why is it important?
3) Target Demographic. Who are your targets? What are their interests? This is crucial for determining what type of marketing you’ll be doing–traditional or digital or both.
4) Competitors. Who are they? How are they marketing? What sets your business apart and gives you a competitive edge in the industry?
Next, build a foundation for your marketing strategy:
5) Past Successes. What’s worked for you in the past? How are you currently getting new business? Do you have consistent website traffic? What is it your customers/clients/members value about your product, service or mission?
6) Measurement. Are you looking at website traffic on a consistent basis and noting where that traffic comes from? Have you measured any past marketing efforts? Are you tracking leads when you answer phones? Is your website up-to-date and functional?
7) Utilize Assets. Are you gathering positive online reviews? Do you regularly engage your social media following? Do you have up-to-date promotional materials, email lists, testimonials and videos? Do you share those broadly?
Once you answer these questions, you’re ready to get started on developing a marketing strategy that will be cost effective and produce positive results!
Thanks to Guest Blogger On the Marc Media!