June 20, 2017
Every year as part of our business attraction efforts, REDI attends the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) Annual International Convention.
We find ourselves on a tradeshow floor with life sciences companies, scientists, CEOs, government officials, service providers and other economic development representatives from 76 different countries located in 50 international & state pavilions!
With over 15,000 attendees, how do we market Rockville, MD, USA as the best place for companies to locate?
It’s all about highlighting our strategic assets – what sets us apart from our competitors?
- Location: we tout our proximity to Federal agencies such as the FDA, NIH and NIST.
- Cluster: Rockville is a biohealth hub, with over 150 companies in the industry located in and around the City of Rockville.
- Workforce: there are 6,000 STEM PhDs and over 10,000 Biohealth workers that help to propel Rockville’s economy already.
- Quality of Place: Rockville is consistently ranked as one of the Best Places to Live, a great Bicycle City, a great City for Women Entrepreneurs, and the list goes on.
- Connectivity: we have direct access to 3 different international airports making travel to anywhere in the world easy and accessible, we are on the Metro line and have both MARC commuter rail and Amtrak services, and provide direct access to customers and supply chain providers through I-270, the ICC and MD 355.
Plus, it’s all about great customer service! We genuinely take an interest in the companies that we meet and try to make a connection with them. Once we return from this tradeshow, we send out individualized follow-up emails to the great contacts we’ve made and give them even more information on why Rockville makes the most sense for them.
Why wouldn’t the next big life sciences firm want to call Rockville, MD, USA home? We think they will!
–Laurie Boyer, CEcD , REDI Executive Director