May 23, 2017
Rockville on Best Cities for Young Professionals List
Forbes has come out with a new list of the best cities for young professional post-college and Rockville is in the top 20!
Using the following metrics crucial to recent graduates, Forbes ranked each of the 100 largest metropolitan statistical areas and divisions in the Unites States :
- Salary – using PayScale data on the median salary earned by college graduates with zero to five-years of work experience
- Rent – Apartment List provided monthly data on the median price to rent a two-bedroom in each metro area. We calculated rent as a share of earnings using the Apartment List and PayScale data. Note we assumed young professionals were likely to split a two-bedroom with a roommate, so divided the two-bedroom rent in half.
- Employment prospects – using the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ most recent tally of local unemployment, as well as data from Moody’s Analytics on job growth in 2016 and projections for 2017-2018
- Networking opportunities – using Census data showing the percent of the population 25 and older with at least a bachelor’s degree
- Social outlook – using Census data to determine the share of the local population aged 20 to 29. Since the spread between cities was relatively small on this metric we weighed it less heavily than the other data points.