December 8, 2015
How to Start Implementing Public Relations
Public relations is a relatively inexpensive way to get your business noticed. A good news story can raise awareness about your business and drive customers to your website or storefront–and it’s cheaper than advertising! Here are some tools your business can use to implement a public relations strategy:
1) News Releases. A news release is a great way to announce to the press new products, services, promotions, community involvement and many other business activities. Journalists often use news releases as a springboard for writing articles about trends in an industry or important developments in the community. Make sure your news releases are newsworthy– that means making them timely (do they coincide with something else in the news at the moment?) and informational, not just promotional.
2) Media Coverage. Media coverage in newspapers, blogs and industry trades can show off your expertise and adds credibility to your business. Sending a relevant news release to target publications is one way to encourage media coverage. Calling or emailing journalists and bloggers who write about your industry is another approach. Consider contracting with a media relations specialist who has established relationships with reporters to help you get articles about your business places in the right publications.
3) Guest Columns. Pitch your executives as thought leaders in weekly or monthly columns in industry publications.
Once you’ve earned media coverage you’re proud of, it’s time to spread your success:
1) Update your website with coverage and link to it from a slider or blog post.
2) Send a link to the article or story to your email list and customer database.
3) Share across your social media platforms and tag appropriately with relevant mentions and hastags.
4) Share with colleagues across your networks.
Good media coverage is worth its weight in gold, so be sure to court it regularly and publicize any stories among your target audience. Many companies have seen a huge uptick in calls once their business in mentioned on TV or in a newspaper, magazine or blog. Don’t be afraid to dive in!
Thanks to Guest Blogger, On the Marc Media.